[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-announce] fin

Garrison, E Chris ecgarris@iu.edu
Fri, 25 Sep 2015 17:20:46 +0000

--_000_D22AF9E325C4Fecgarrisiuedu_

Daria,

Congratulations on the new phase of your life. I too am transgender and hav=
e been coping in my own way for decades. I=92ve been very out since the beg=
inning of last year as a part of that coping. It has come to the point wher=
e it=92s not enough to cope, and I am in the beginning of transition myself=
.

If you want to keep in touch, please let me know.

Chris

From: <openafs-announce-admin@openafs.org<mailto:openafs-announce-admin@ope=
nafs.org>> on behalf of Daria Phoebe Brashear <shadow@gmail.com<mailto:shad=
ow@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, September 25, 2015 at 12:01 AM
To: openafs announcement list <openafs-announce@openafs.org<mailto:openafs-=
announce@openafs.org>>
Subject: [OpenAFS-announce] fin

It's been two years, today, since one of the defining moments in my recent =
life. As I picked myself up from my toppled bicycle, some folks pulled up, =
and shortly I was speeding across the city. I couldn't see what was passing=
 outside, but I knew where I was every inch of the way. This is my city. A =
friend jokes that the person I used to be died in the hospital that night s=
o I could be born. He is not far off the truth. Not all such defining momen=
ts in my life have involved broken bones and being bandaged like a mummy, t=
hough:

I've never seen a computer with such a large monitor, I thought, as I sat d=
own in front of a 19" monochrome display. Just a hair over twenty-four year=
s ago, I found myself sitting at a DECstation 3100, typing the username and=
 initial password of the form all students received, and having an unfamili=
ar graphical user interface come into view. Until that point, the single Ma=
cintosh with System 7 at my high school was the extent of the GUIs I'd come=
 in contact with.

I don't remember what I first typed up, but the custom-built computing envi=
ronment that had preceded me at Carnegie Mellon by only a few years offered=
 its own rich text editor. I'd become quite familiar with it while doing as=
signments over the next few months. I saved my file, and logged out. Curiou=
s as to what would happen, I logged in again immediately to confirm that th=
ings looked the same as they had moments earlier. But it was time for work,=
 and I again logged out so I could go into a back office in the library and=
 spend several hours cataloging new books. Later that day, though, I chose =
a different computer, and tried again. My files were there, too. The concep=
t was completely new to me.

By my second year as an undergraduate, I was well-acquainted with AFS. I ha=
d acquired a workstation of my own, a Sun 3/160, and had set it up as a hyb=
rid between the university's computing system and standalone. AFS was a com=
mercial product, but I was able to find binaries the university had license=
d that I could use. Weeks later, in a moment that would presage work I now =
do in helping to improve security and usability, I realized that source cod=
e probably could be found in a readable place somewhere in this giant globa=
l filesystem, and soon had something only slightly obsolete that I could bu=
ild myself.

My first full time job was with the university's academic computing organiz=
ation. When the previous Transarc/IBM site contact left for a job elsewhere=
, AFS became my responsibility. By this point, I knew how the pieces worked=
, even if I was not familiar with every detail of the internals. So, six ye=
ars from when I discovered the wonders of a distributed filesystem, I found=
 myself in a position to push to legally develop for what was essentially a=
 closed source commercial product for most of the world. The community grap=
evine suggested the DARPA grants used to fund some early work on the produc=
t could be used to obtain public domain copies of some of the source, and I=
 used my new-found role as site contact to ask hard questions. After all, I=
 had been given a bully pulpit.

The first piece to be thus freed was Rx, the RPC system layered above UDP. =
A copy of the letter I received from the corporate attorney describing what=
 was legally available has been online since shortly thereafter. I passed t=
he source along, and a group of developers at a university in Stockholm pic=
ked it up for their project: an AFS protocol-compatible client called Arla.=
 I soon found myself working on it, but at the same time I still had access=
 to the fully-functional closed source product, so I had to exercise care i=
n what I did.

Just a couple years later, after increasingly-scattershot support of the pr=
oduct, IBM announced their intended end-of-life for AFS. I was one among ma=
ny voices who started nagging immediately. And so, when in summer 2000 I wa=
s at an academic computing forum in Seattle, the call we received from IBM =
provided news that was welcome and relieving: AFS would be open-sourced jus=
t a few months hence. My peers at other institutions that used AFS and had =
source licenses joined with me to help create an organization which would b=
e ready to take the code drop and do something great with it. I proposed an=
 organization modeled roughly on the one that had hosted the forum where th=
e call had been taken. To insulate against member organizations trying to s=
ink the product, their employees would be individual members of our board, =
and represent the interests of their employer in the way they felt best cap=
tured it. For better and for worse, the open source organization I proposed=
 then is the one we have had ever since.

OpenAFS, as it would come to be called, was released just about the time Su=
bversion was. Transarc had built their own version control on top of RCS, b=
ut our code drop would not include that. We got code representing a distinc=
t point in time, and had to build a new means of managing it. Again I drew =
on what was familiar, and built a partial toolset above CVS to mimic the be=
st parts of the way in which Transarc had managed their source. Among the f=
irst things that happened was the need to apply the IBM Public License to t=
he code in a way that correctly represented what rights could be ascribed t=
o which files. There, again, I can tell you that the group of us who did th=
e work made some unfortunate mistakes. We did the best we could in the face=
 of limited accommodation from IBM's legal staff, who felt they'd spent too=
 much time already in getting to the point we were at.

In hindsight, the license OpenAFS was saddled with has been its biggest iss=
ue. IBM never used that instance of the license again. Ongoingly, its incom=
patibility with the GPL has combined with other factors to make Linux suppo=
rt a heavy burden: sometimes free isn't *free enough*.

In spite of the issues facing us and the bare shoestring of resources avail=
able, we were able to support and improve OpenAFS on a variety of platforms=
. The common ones, Solaris and Linux, got more love than the exotic enterpr=
ise System 5 variants, to be sure, but we released and supported platforms =
including AIX, HP/UX, and IRIX. We added support for NetBSD and eventually =
MacOS X. Just under a year into the project, I found myself on a train to B=
oston. Over the course of the long ride, I built the first autoconf support=
 OpenAFS ever had. Mobile internet was not in my grasp, and laptop drives w=
ere considerably smaller. I took some documentation and examples with me, a=
nd learned as I went. It was characteristic of my experiences getting to th=
at point: my formal education was in engineering rather than computer scien=
ce.

Over the course of the next several years, there would be a community to gr=
ow and sustain in addition to simply caring for code. The community was com=
prised of the end-users of the product, the developers -- volunteers from t=
he perspective of OpenAFS, and the organizations which deployed it. As with=
 any mature technology, we had many people you'd consider to be 'characters=
' involved. Certainly at the time I was one of them. My personal life was o=
ne high in stress and low in happiness, and so anyone who perceived me as m=
iserable probably wasn't far off the mark. It was made no easier by being, =
effectively, the provider of last resort. If no one else would do something=
 that we absolutely needed, I marshaled the only resource I controlled: me.=
 Still, I tried with varying success to be involved in positive change.

Four and a half years into the OpenAFS project, I had reached a point where=
 I felt that my relationship with Carnegie Mellon had reached the point of =
diminishing returns. We were bad for each other, even toxic. I moved on to =
a full time position with Sine Nomine Associates, for whom I had been doing=
 contract work on OpenAFS for several years already. More personally, I too=
k the largest leap of faith I'd ever done in my life. By the time I hosted =
the 5th birthday of the project at my house, I had unloaded much of the mis=
ery as well as about 90 of the pounds on my person, meaning the weight thus=
 lifted was both literal and figurative. For the next 3 years, I continued =
to work on growing OpenAFS while also supporting a number of corporate and =
academic customers in my new-found role.

Again, though, I felt the need for change, and moved on to try my hand inde=
pendently. I considered again, as I had when I left CMU, if the time was ri=
ght to do something else with my life. As previously, though, I felt I had =
more to give to OpenAFS, and I did not want to let the community down. So, =
I kept contributing, and ended up getting onboard at Your File System, Inc.

Much as when things started with AFS, the global filesystem product we have=
 been developing is just one piece of a suite, the fabric which can and wil=
l tie together many uses. Auristor was built from the start to be compatibl=
e with the AFS protocol shared with the original IBM product, OpenAFS, Arla=
 and Linux kAFS, while still offering new security, reliability and perform=
ance features not previously available in any of the others. It has been an=
 exciting time, again, to work on a distributed filesystem.

As you have possibly also noticed, though, it has also been an exciting tim=
e to be me. Forty years into my life, I finally came to grips with somethin=
g I knew but did not fully understand on the day I sat down at that DECstat=
ion so many years ago. I did not learn much of the reality of what it meant=
 to be transgender until I found the Internet. Even in its primitive state,=
 the indexes to information I was able to find when I was finally introduce=
d to Gopher far dwarfed what I could learn simply from perusing the card ca=
talog at the vast library across the ravine from me. What I learned, early =
on, contributed to the hopelessness that would continue to accumulate. So w=
hen at last I realized it was time for a second giant leap of faith in my l=
ife, I again jumped.

My new epoch came just about when my unplanned hospital visit did. It was v=
ery trying to explain the situation repeatedly at the time. I had to carefu=
lly pick about in the world, ensuring I would find support to sustain me in=
 the face of possible devastation, and it took many months to again patch t=
ogether my life in a manner where I felt like I could safely just exist. An=
d there would be damage unintentionally inflicted upon me even more often t=
han when deliberate malice was in play.

In spite of that, just weeks after beginning hormone replacement therapy, I=
 found myself in a lecture hall at CERN with some of you, and spoke as I al=
ways had about the status of our progress. My self-awareness as I did so wa=
s certainly far greater, though, than it had been for any other time, and t=
he blazing red dress that clothed me was a statement of self-embodiment I h=
ad never made in a public forum before. I had no idea what to expect, but w=
hat I got was pretty much the same as always: the respect you'd hopefully a=
ccord any peer.

As I continued to work both on filesystems and on myself, I was afforded ma=
ny opportunities to see shortcomings that I had managed to overlook before.=
 The journey to becoming externally congruent with the person I always was =
inside lifted a lot of extra weight from my shoulders, and so unburdened I =
could take on things I might previously have glossed over. The OpenAFS comm=
unity had never had much consideration for diversity, as in many ways we we=
re not so much recruiting new members as trying to sustain and support the =
ones we already had. This is probably my greatest personal regret looking b=
ack. And while I was not and have not been made to feel unwelcome, I felt i=
t best for others to ensure that going forward, a code of conduct for contr=
ibutors was in place, something OpenAFS has just adopted. We also, for the =
first time, had a code of conduct for attendees at an AFS Workshop just wee=
ks ago. To my knowledge, there was no inappropriate behavior, but having a =
framework in place to deal is like with anything else a good idea.

My spouse, my colleagues, my family and my friends have all been wonderful =
and supportive regarding my transition, but it has imposed new needs in my =
life, as well as allowing me the opportunity to see new ways to contribute =
to the global good. I can honestly tell you that the present is the happies=
t I have been in my life. But there is still much work to be done personall=
y, professionally and globally, and I am but one woman. I will have additio=
nal stresses in my transition. Auristor, our signature product, will requir=
e yet more of my time. And there are so many injustices in the world that I=
 feel I need to help right.

So it is with great regret that I now tender my resignation from the OpenAF=
S project as an elder, a gatekeeper, and a member of the foundation creatio=
n committee. It has been a great run over these past nearly 15 years, and a=
s someone who works at a vendor supplying AFS-compatible technology I shall=
 continue to be part of the community. However, I have been increasingly un=
able to devote sufficient time to OpenAFS, and rather than give far from th=
e best I have to offer, I feel it is best to move aside and give those who =
might step up and do better the full and unburdened opportunity to do so. I=
 hope to run into you at future AFS events, and please know that I will con=
tinue to contribute in the ways I feel I can.

All the best,
Daria Phoebe

--_000_D22AF9E325C4Fecgarrisiuedu_

<head>
252">
</head>
e-break: after-white-space; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 14px; font-fami=
ly: Calibri, sans-serif;">
d have been coping in my own way for decades. I=92ve been very out since th=
e beginning of last year as a part of that coping. It has come to the point=
 where it=92s not enough to cope, and
 I am in the beginning of transition myself.</div>
lack; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM:=
 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #b5c4df 1pt solid;=
 BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 3pt">
-announce-admin@openafs.org">openafs-announce-admin@openafs.org</a>&gt; on =
behalf of Daria Phoebe Brashear &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shadow@gmail.com">sha=
dow@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
penafs-info@openafs.org">openafs-info@openafs.org</a>&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"=
mailto:openafs-info@openafs.org">openafs-info@openafs.org</a>&gt;<br>
 12:01 AM<br>
a href=3D"mailto:openafs-announce@openafs.org">openafs-announce@openafs.org=
</a>&gt;<br>
nts in my recent life. As I picked myself up from my toppled bicycle, some =
folks pulled up, and shortly I was speeding across the city. I couldn't see=
 what was passing outside, but I knew
 where I was every inch of the way. This is my city. A friend jokes that th=
e person I used to be died in the hospital that night so I could be born. H=
e is not far off the truth. Not all such defining moments in my life have i=
nvolved broken bones and being bandaged
 like a mummy, though:<br>
I've never seen a computer with such a large monitor, I thought, as I sat d=
own in front of a 19&quot; monochrome display. Just a hair over twenty-four=
 years ago, I found myself sitting at a DECstation 3100, typing the usernam=
e and initial password of the form all
 students received, and having an unfamiliar graphical user interface come =
into view. Until that point, the single Macintosh with System 7 at my high =
school was the extent of the GUIs I'd come in contact with.<br>
I don't remember what I first typed up, but the custom-built computing envi=
ronment that had preceded me at Carnegie Mellon by only a few years offered=
 its own rich text editor. I'd become quite familiar with it while doing as=
signments over the next few months.
 I saved my file, and logged out. Curious as to what would happen, I logged=
 in again immediately to confirm that things looked the same as they had mo=
ments earlier. But it was time for work, and I again logged out so I could =
go into a back office in the library
 and spend several hours cataloging new books. Later that day, though, I ch=
ose a different computer, and tried again. My files were there, too. The co=
ncept was completely new to me.<br>
By my second year as an undergraduate, I was well-acquainted with AFS. I ha=
d acquired a workstation of my own, a Sun 3/160, and had set it up as a hyb=
rid between the university's computing system and standalone. AFS was a com=
mercial product, but I was able
 to find binaries the university had licensed that I could use. Weeks later=
, in a moment that would presage work I now do in helping to improve securi=
ty and usability, I realized that source code probably could be found in a =
readable place somewhere in this
 giant global filesystem, and soon had something only slightly obsolete tha=
t I could build myself.<br>
My first full time job was with the university's academic computing organiz=
ation. When the previous Transarc/IBM site contact left for a job elsewhere=
, AFS became my responsibility. By this point, I knew how the pieces worked=
, even if I was not familiar with
 every detail of the internals. So, six years from when I discovered the wo=
nders of a distributed filesystem, I found myself in a position to push to =
legally develop for what was essentially a closed source commercial product=
 for most of the world. The community
 grapevine suggested the DARPA grants used to fund some early work on the p=
roduct could be used to obtain public domain copies of some of the source, =
and I used my new-found role as site contact to ask hard questions. After a=
ll, I had been given a bully pulpit.<br>
The first piece to be thus freed was Rx, the RPC system layered above UDP. =
A copy of the letter I received from the corporate attorney describing what=
 was legally available has been online since shortly thereafter. I passed t=
he source along, and a group of
 developers at a university in Stockholm picked it up for their project: an=
 AFS protocol-compatible client called Arla. I soon found myself working on=
 it, but at the same time I still had access to the fully-functional closed=
 source product, so I had to exercise
 care in what I did.<br>
[...]
r since.<br>
OpenAFS, as it would come to be called, was released just about the time Su=
bversion was. Transarc had built their own version control on top of RCS, b=
ut our code drop would not include that. We got code representing a distinc=
t point in time, and had to build
 a new means of managing it. Again I drew on what was familiar, and built a=
 partial toolset above CVS to mimic the best parts of the way in which Tran=
sarc had managed their source. Among the first things that happened was the=
 need to apply the IBM Public License
 to the code in a way that correctly represented what rights could be ascri=
bed to which files. There, again, I can tell you that the group of us who d=
id the work made some unfortunate mistakes. We did the best we could in the=
 face of limited accommodation from
 IBM's legal staff, who felt they'd spent too much time already in getting =
to the point we were at.<br>
In hindsight, the license OpenAFS was saddled with has been its biggest iss=
ue. IBM never used that instance of the license again. Ongoingly, its incom=
patibility with the GPL has combined with other factors to make Linux suppo=
rt a heavy burden: sometimes free
 isn't *free enough*.<br>
In spite of the issues facing us and the bare shoestring of resources avail=
able, we were able to support and improve OpenAFS on a variety of platforms=
. The common ones, Solaris and Linux, got more love than the exotic enterpr=
ise System 5 variants, to be sure,
 but we released and supported platforms including AIX, HP/UX, and IRIX. We=
 added support for NetBSD and eventually MacOS X. Just under a year into th=
e project, I found myself on a train to Boston. Over the course of the long=
 ride, I built the first autoconf
 support OpenAFS ever had. Mobile internet was not in my grasp, and laptop =
drives were considerably smaller. I took some documentation and examples wi=
th me, and learned as I went. It was characteristic of my experiences getti=
ng to that point: my formal education
 was in engineering rather than computer science.<br>
Over the course of the next several years, there would be a community to gr=
ow and sustain in addition to simply caring for code. The community was com=
prised of the end-users of the product, the developers -- volunteers from t=
he perspective of OpenAFS, and the
 organizations which deployed it. As with any mature technology, we had man=
y people you'd consider to be 'characters' involved. Certainly at the time =
I was one of them. My personal life was one high in stress and low in happi=
ness, and so anyone who perceived
 me as miserable probably wasn't far off the mark. It was made no easier by=
 being, effectively, the provider of last resort. If no one else would do s=
omething that we absolutely needed, I marshaled the only resource I control=
led: me. Still, I tried with varying
 success to be involved in positive change.<br>
Four and a half years into the OpenAFS project, I had reached a point where=
 I felt that my relationship with Carnegie Mellon had reached the point of =
diminishing returns. We were bad for each other, even toxic. I moved on to =
a full time position with Sine Nomine
 Associates, for whom I had been doing contract work on OpenAFS for several=
 years already. More personally, I took the largest leap of faith I'd ever =
done in my life. By the time I hosted the 5th birthday of the project at my=
 house, I had unloaded much of the
 misery as well as about 90 of the pounds on my person, meaning the weight =
thus lifted was both literal and figurative. For the next 3 years, I contin=
ued to work on growing OpenAFS while also supporting a number of corporate =
and academic customers in my new-found
 role.<br>
Again, though, I felt the need for change, and moved on to try my hand inde=
pendently. I considered again, as I had when I left CMU, if the time was ri=
ght to do something else with my life. As previously, though, I felt I had =
more to give to OpenAFS, and I did
 not want to let the community down. So, I kept contributing, and ended up =
getting onboard at Your File System, Inc.<br>
Much as when things started with AFS, the global filesystem product we have=
 been developing is just one piece of a suite, the fabric which can and wil=
l tie together many uses. Auristor was built from the start to be compatibl=
e with the AFS protocol shared with
 the original IBM product, OpenAFS, Arla and Linux kAFS, while still offeri=
ng new security, reliability and performance features not previously availa=
ble in any of the others. It has been an exciting time, again, to work on a=
 distributed filesystem.<br>
As you have possibly also noticed, though, it has also been an exciting tim=
e to be me. Forty years into my life, I finally came to grips with somethin=
g I knew but did not fully understand on the day I sat down at that DECstat=
ion so many years ago. I did not
 learn much of the reality of what it meant to be transgender until I found=
 the Internet. Even in its primitive state, the indexes to information I wa=
s able to find when I was finally introduced to Gopher far dwarfed what I c=
ould learn simply from perusing
 the card catalog at the vast library across the ravine from me. What I lea=
rned, early on, contributed to the hopelessness that would continue to accu=
mulate. So when at last I realized it was time for a second giant leap of f=
aith in my life, I again jumped.<br>
My new epoch came just about when my unplanned hospital visit did. It was v=
ery trying to explain the situation repeatedly at the time. I had to carefu=
lly pick about in the world, ensuring I would find support to sustain me in=
 the face of possible devastation,
 and it took many months to again patch together my life in a manner where =
I felt like I could safely just exist. And there would be damage unintentio=
nally inflicted upon me even more often than when deliberate malice was in =
play.<br>
In spite of that, just weeks after beginning hormone replacement therapy, I=
 found myself in a lecture hall at CERN with some of you, and spoke as I al=
ways had about the status of our progress. My self-awareness as I did so wa=
s certainly far greater, though,
 than it had been for any other time, and the blazing red dress that clothe=
d me was a statement of self-embodiment I had never made in a public forum =
before. I had no idea what to expect, but what I got was pretty much the sa=
me as always: the respect you'd
 hopefully accord any peer.<br>
[...]
ike with anything else a good idea.<br>
My spouse, my colleagues, my family and my friends have all been wonderful =
and supportive regarding my transition, but it has imposed new needs in my =
life, as well as allowing me the opportunity to see new ways to contribute =
to the global good. I can honestly
 tell you that the present is the happiest I have been in my life. But ther=
e is still much work to be done personally, professionally and globally, an=
d I am but one woman. I will have additional stresses in my transition. Aur=
istor, our signature product, will
 require yet more of my time. And there are so many injustices in the world=
 that I feel I need to help right.<br>
So it is with great regret that I now tender my resignation from the OpenAF=
S project as an elder, a gatekeeper, and a member of the foundation creatio=
n committee. It has been a great run over these past nearly 15 years, and a=
s someone who works at a vendor
 supplying AFS-compatible technology I shall continue to be part of the com=
munity. However, I have been increasingly unable to devote sufficient time =
to OpenAFS, and rather than give far from the best I have to offer, I feel =
it is best to move aside and give
 those who might step up and do better the full and unburdened opportunity =
to do so. I hope to run into you at future AFS events, and please know that=
 I will continue to contribute in the ways I feel I can.<br>
All the best,<br>
Daria Phoebe<br>

--_000_D22AF9E325C4Fecgarrisiuedu_--