[OpenAFS] Read-only volume issues

Jan Iven jan.iven@cern.ch
Tue, 21 Jun 2016 08:36:56 +0200

On 06/20/2016 11:09 PM, Garrison, Christine wrote:
 > [..]
> Though, I am open to ideas. It seems awful to ask about how to retire an OpenAFS system on this list, however.

(I guess that many of us are at least considering this. This list could
be a nice place to share strategies and gotchas.. the list descriptions
says "Virtually any discussion related to OpenAFS is on-topic here.")

> [..]
> Jeff,
>
> Thank you for the "vos addsite" idea and for clarifying. That does seem like a better option, assuming we can solve the Samba problem. The .readonly volume produced acts just like the .backup mount did, so we are stuck. Windows reports "failed with an error of 5" upon attempts to open files through Samba from the .readonly volume mount.

One way could be to serve all "readonly" content (i.e. those with rw+ro
volumes) from dedicated Samba servers that run with

  read only = yes
  locking = no
and possibly
  oplocks = False
(per
https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/locking.html)

you could also increase logging (-d, or "kill -SIGTSTP") on a test AFS
server to see what operation exactly is being attempted (and fails), see
"man dafileserver"). Works best if you isolate the volume in question to
a dedicated server.

Cheers
jan