[OpenAFS] [OpenAFS-announce] OpenAFS release 1.6.18 available

Simon Wilkinson simon@auristor.com
Tue, 10 May 2016 11:15:36 +0100

> A bit more background on what happened here: some code went into 1.6 =
that
> allowed the Linux client to use the splice() family of VFS calls.  =
These
> calls can speed up some transfers (apparently ones involving both a =
file
> and a pipe, but I am not a Linux VFS expoert).

A bit more background to Ben=E2=80=99s background =E2=80=A6

The code that was added speeds up the process of copying data from the=20=

disk cache back to the fileserver. It avoids a number of memory copies =
by
taking information directly from the OS page cache and sending it =
straight=20
to RX. It is involved in every write operation performed by a Linux =
cache
manager that uses a disk cache.

For those who are interested, the original commit was
34ffc9cd7d7eed62229704ad0e1d327f076ea7b6, reviewed at
http://gerrit.openafs.org/903

Cheers,

Simon.
=E2=80=94=20