[OpenAFS] hard drive relaibility

Lars Schimmer l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Thu, 19 May 2016 17:59:50 +0200

--9ct5CEf9UmvdcaHjGMwUiXXl0Q6xDO19o
From: Lars Schimmer <l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at>
To: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] hard drive relaibility

--b0DLxDIO9O1Lrj5jACqwGlQfvVq5w2X3P

On 2016-05-19 17:37, Ted Creedon wrote:
> During a drive upgrade a brand new WD29EFRX 2TB drive  containing my RW=
 volumes crashed.

Yeah, HDs tend to fail at the beginning and at the end of their
lifespan. So do a load test on the fist few days and if it runs well, it
will run well the next few year for a high probability.

Our drives runs fine for >7 years now - only 3 dropouts out of 60 HDs
yet. Luckily we are able to replace them soon (tm), as 7 years is far
over the usual lifespan of a HD.

> After talking to drive recovery firms I've learned that the new reliabi=
lity philosophy is cheap drives & rely on the users RAID for recovery,

Has always been that way, rely on RAID and backup, expect EVERY HD to
fail every time.

> Fortunately I have 4 RO backups,

one is enough, in case of fire^^

> One repair firm said they see new drives with incredible amounts of dir=
t inside.

Depends on company, label,...

> Here is a drive reliability report.
>=20
> http://www.extremetech.com/computing/228497-backblaze-releases-billion-=
hour-hard-drive-reliability-report

This is a bit half way, as it does not really show at which age the HDs
died, so those values are not really much useful. Also some drives tend
to be bad only in some production cycles,...

> Looks like solid state drives + thumb drives for off site storage is th=
e way ti go.

If you got the money... We go with 8TB drives and a RAID6 across them.
Enough capacity and speed for 20 OpenAFS clients and some VMs.

> tedc

MfG,
Lars Schimmer
--=20
TU Graz, Institut f=FCr ComputerGraphik & WissensVisualisierung
Tel: +43 316 873-5405       E-Mail: l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Fax: +43 316 873-5402       PGP-Key-ID: 0x4A9B1723