[OpenAFS] How to provide default fs storebehind value and specific value for path already on creation

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@mit.edu
Mon, 31 Oct 2016 20:59:37 -0500

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 03:53:46PM +0100, Karl-Philipp Richter wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to provide a quite high default value for `fs storebehind`, but
> another lower value for VirtualBox related files because it assumes
> write failure after a timeout. I can run
>
>     find /afs/richtercloud.de/virtualbox-vms/ -print -exec /usr/bin/fs
> storebehind -kbytes 500000 -files {} +
>
> in an `ExecStartPost` directive in the `openafs-client` `systemd` unit,
> but that wouldn't apply to newly created files until reboot. Is there a
> way that I can make sure that newly created files have a specific `fs
> storebehind` value immediately?
>
> I'm using OpenAFS 1.6.18.3-2 on Ubuntu 16.10.

I don't think there's currently a way to make a secondary default
storebehind value for use on a certain subtree/directory/volume.

The only thing that comes to mind is a potential workaround of modifying
whatever infrastructure invokes virtualbox to also run fs storebehind,
if that is possible.

-Ben