[OpenAFS] Windows 10 Pro and OpenAFS Client

Lars Schimmer l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Sat, 9 Dec 2017 14:09:08 +0100

From: Lars Schimmer <l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at>
To: Anders Nordin <anders.j.nordin@ltu.se>,
 Andreas Ladanyi <andreas.ladanyi@kit.edu>,
 "openafs-info@openafs.org" <openafs-info@openafs.org>
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Windows 10 Pro and OpenAFS Client

On 2017-12-08 13:20, Anders Nordin wrote:
> Hello,
> What does this mean exactly? Will it be possible to install the OpenAFS=
-client after 31.12.2017? Is it just an academic problem? We set a comput=
ers BIOS to the future and, installed the OS (non-networked) and then ins=
talled the client (non-networked), and it worked fine.

It is a real issue.
Because WIndows 10 compatibility is only signed with secure mode. Also
the new Windows secure settings and anti-malware tools do only work in
secure mode reliable.
Also some companies do have the need to enable secure boot.

And, nevertheless, no one knows what changes MS will do next time
without announcing it.

OpenAFS needs a substainable big contribution into the MS branch with
getting a MS signature and be a valid kernel driver for the next years.

To bad my gorup can=C2=B4t do that (20 people only) and so we do migrate =
from the AFS.

> Anders

Lars Schimmer
TU Graz, Institut f=C3=BCr ComputerGraphik & WissensVisualisierung
Tel: +43 316 873-5405       E-Mail: l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Fax: +43 316 873-5402       PGP-Key-ID: 0x4A9B1723