[OpenAFS] changing just the name of a database server?

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@mit.edu
Thu, 21 Dec 2017 01:36:03 -0600

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 12:08:33PM -0500, Steve Gaarder wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2017, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
>
> > Hi Steve,
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 09:19:36AM -0500, Steve Gaarder wrote:
> >> I want to change the name of one of my database servers, while keeping the
> >> IP address the same.  Besides making the change in the DNS and the
> >> machine's hostname, is there anything else I need to do?
> >
> > You should also notify cellservdb@grand.central.org so that the
> > central CellServDB records can be updated.  IIRC, at least windows
> > clients use the name after the '#' for address lookups -- it is not
> > just a comment field.
> >

> Thanks for that info.  Does it matter whether the name is a CNAME or not?
> I'm thinking that, to ease the transition, I could make the new name a
> CNAME for the existing name, tell grand.central to change the cellservdb,
> and later rename the machine.

This is pretty far outside my area of expertise, but some code
diving suggests that the OpenAFS client will follow a CNAME if the A
record is included in the additional section of the DNS response
that has the CNAME in the answer section, but will not initiate an
additional DNS request to follow the CNAME.  It's possible that the
Auristor client has implemented that TODO item, but I have no way to
check.

-Ben