[OpenAFS] vos dumps to S3 via S3 Storage Gateway?

David Boyes dboyes@sinenomine.net
Sat, 4 Mar 2017 15:29:28 +0000

> I have on my mind to look at tsmafs... I had thought, tho, that that was
> making use of the TSM api.

Note also that all of these various options mentioned make use of the *arch=
ive* portion of TSM, not the more usual backup setup that is used for most =
TSM storage engines. Your TSM admin has to take some specific steps to supp=
ort archiving. and implement appropriate management classes for archive sto=
rage. It's not hard to do, but it's not something you as an end user can do=
 so you need to let them know if you start tinkering with this. The default=
 TSM setup doesn't allow for much more than trivial archive functionality t=
o allow the TSM installation verification program to run.

You may encounter some resistance from your TSM admins. Archive management =
semantics are somewhat different than backup server-side, and some TSM admi=
ns don't like the clutter associated with heavy use of archiving.

The XBSA documentation is available at http://archive.opengroup.org/publica=
tions/archive/CDROM/c425.pdf. It's pretty straightforward to implement, so =
it wouldn't be terribly hard to revive a vendor-independent implementation.=
=20