[OpenAFS] Offline migration of AFS partition files (i.e. the contents of `/vicepX`)

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Wed, 05 Dec 2018 14:29:15 +0100 (CET)

> Can I safely `rsync` the files from the old partition to the new one?

For Linux (The "new" server partition layout):

If the file tree really is exactly copied (including all permissions
and chmod-bits) then you have everything you need. This was not true
for the old file system layout for example in SunOS UFS.

I would copy to a not-yet used partition, mount it then as /vicepY
(where Y is a new unused letter) and then as the first thing when
startting the server run a salvage with the options
-orphans attach -salvagedirs -force

Harald.

PS: I like zfs