[OpenAFS] Red Hat EL Support Customers - Please open a support case for kafs in RHEL8,Re: [OpenAFS] Red Hat EL Support Customers - Please open a support case for kafs in RHEL8

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Sat, 08 Dec 2018 13:32:08 +0100 (CET)

> While getting tokens at login work with this setup, things start to fail
> once the users $HOME is set to be in /afs. While simple scenarios like
> pure shell/console logins work, graphical desktop environments have lots
> of problems. XFCE4 doesn't even start, Plasma works to some degree after
> presenting lots of error dialogs to the user.

Is this a problem due to AFS or due to the startup of the graphical
environment which nowadays may involve systemd --user services instead
of running all processes in the same session?

> Seems there's still some work to do until this becomes an alternative
> for the standard OpenAFS client.

It may make a "beta", so yes.

> So I wonder why RH customers would want that?

RH decided that their customers wanted systemd ;->

Harald.