[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.8.0 beta 4 available

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@mit.edu
Wed, 17 Jan 2018 18:24:57 -0600

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 04:52:39PM +0100, Gaja Sophie Peters wrote:
> (I tried sending this email about a week ago, but apparently
> unsuccessfull, so I am retrying with a different sender-address now.)
>

> Am 06.01.2018 um 03:22 schrieb Benjamin Kaduk:
>
> > The OpenAFS Guardians are happy to announce the availability of the fourth
> > prerelease candidate of OpenAFS 1.8.0.
>
> What better opportunity to test the new release, than when the DKMS of
> the old release from jessie (1.6.9-2+deb8u6) AND from jessie-backports
> (1.6.18.2-1~bpo8+1) fails to build on the new kernel with the
> "Meltdown"-fixes (which for Debian-Jessie is 3.16.0-5-amd64)...

Indeed.  It's rather unfortunate that the process involved always
makes the lead time for a fix in stable-proposed-updates take
a couple weeks.  (Not that my busy schedule is helping, either.)

> I created packages in a way similar to what I wrote in
> https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2016-December/041997.html
> only that I did it all on a Debian Jessie system, instead of Ubuntu 14.04.
>
> So far everything works fine, the DKMS-module was built successfully and
> the AFS-client seems completely usable.

Glad to hear it -- thanks for the report!

-Ben