[OpenAFS] mass moving volumes from server to server ?

Jose M Calhariz jose.calhariz@tecnico.ulisboa.pt
Wed, 2 May 2018 12:09:49 +0100

On Tue, May 01, 2018 at 03:23:26PM -0400, Gary Gatling wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if any users or developers have a solution for moving all
> the volumes from one server to another?
>
> We have a perl program that was written 11 years ago to do that. But it has
> problems...
>
> Its mixed in with this other perl code for programmatically creating
> volumes and its a bit of a mess.
>
> You have to remember  to run it inside of screen or tmux. If you forget to
> do that, or you press CTRL-C to try to interrupt the script it passes
> that CTRL-C down to vos command and volumes get corrupted. Then you might
> have to go to tape backup.
>
> The programmer who wrote it moved on a long time ago.
>
> Does anyone have a solution they use for this? Something that could be
> safely interrupted? The reason I ask is that I know of no other way to
> handle things such as Red Hat kernel upgrades where a reboot is required.
> Having an outage for kernel upgrades is problematic for us since so much
> other technology depends on having afs working at all times. The kernel
> updates seem to happen about every 2 weeks or so.
>
> Thanks,

I have a bash script to balance the volumes between servers and with
litle changes is used to empty fileservers that need maintenance.

But it is a basically a:

for vol in $(vos listvol ...) ; do
  if test -e stop ; then
    break
  fi
  vos move ...
done

This means it interact by all volumes in a server and if finds a file
named $0_stop it aborts the execution between volumes.

If you are interested I can check with the upper-management if I can
share it with you.

Kind regards
Jose M Calhariz

Os brasileiros não nasceram devedores e não serão sempre devedores. Não têm vocação para devedores

--François Mitterrand