[OpenAFS] More on FreeBSD 11.1

Michael H Lambert lambert@psc.edu
Mon, 14 May 2018 15:38:31 -0400

> On 14 May 2018, at 13:47, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU> wrote:
>=20
> On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 01:41:09PM -0400, Michael H Lambert wrote:
>> I decided to try something more useful for debugging and built =
OpenAFS 1.8.0 with "--enable-debug-kernel --disable-optimize-kernel =
--disable-strip-binaries --enable-debug --disable-optimize".  This is on =
FreeBSD 11.1 with the fix for afs_vcache.c.  The kernel panic is =
definitely not limited to stopping afsd.  I have seen the panic when =
unpacking a tar file in an afs directory.  Below is some kgdb output =
which might help.  I can provide more if someone tells me what to look =
for.  I can also try rebuilding the system with an actual partition for =
/var/openafs/cache, rather than using a ZFS block device, if anyone =
thinks that might make a difference.
>=20
> This looks awfully similar to what
> 54e84a98f9747bb5bb2ad4b8031115ad7684c914 is trying to fix, so I'd
> ask you to double-check that you are in fact running with an
> installed kernel module that includes the cherry-pick, as the first
> step.

If one patches one machine using a patch and another by hand, the second =
one is much more likely to break.  Please excuse the noise.

Michael