[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Security Releases 1.8.2, 1.6.23 available --> butc & backup security update question --> why only root?

Giovanni Bracco giovanni.bracco@enea.it
Thu, 27 Sep 2018 15:11:03 +0200

I have made some tests - ok it works - but I wonder why the key
autentication method is allowed only to root user

 > -localauth
 > All butc RPCs require superuser authentication.
 > This option must be run as root, and server key material must be present.

Our backup scripts, which have been running on a dedicated server for
many years, run under a dedicated user with administrative powers.

Why the availability of a admin token is not sufficient to run butc in a
secure way?

Giovanni

--
Giovanni Bracco