[OpenAFS] iperf vs rxperf in high latency network

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@mit.edu
Thu, 8 Aug 2019 19:55:43 -0500

On Thu, Aug 08, 2019 at 11:54:44AM -0700, xguan@reliancememory.com wrote:
> To make sure I captured all the explanations correctly, please allow me to summarize my understandings:

I think your understanding is basically correct (and thanks to Jeffrey for
the detailed explanation!).  A few more remarks inline, though none
particularly actionable.

> Flow control over a high-latency, potentially congested link is a fundamental challenge that both TCP and UDP+Rx face. Both protocol and implementation can pose a problem. The reason why I did not see an improvement when enlarging the window size in rxperf is that firstly I chose too few data bytes to transfer and secondly that OpenAFS's Rx has some implementation limitations that become a limiting factor before the window size limit kicks in. They are non-trivial to fix, as demonstrated in the 1.5.x throughput "hiccup". But AuriStor fixed a significant amount of it in its proprietary Rx re-implementation.
>
> One can borrow ideas and principals from algorithm research in TCP's flow control to improve Rx throughput. I am not an expert on this topic, but I wonder if the principals in Google's BBR algorithm can help further improve Rx throughput, and I wonder if there is anything that makes TCP fundamentally superior than UDP in implementing flow control.

Congestion control algorithms are largely independent of TCP vs. UDP, and
many TCP stacks have a "modular" concestion controller, in which one
algorithm can be swapped out for another by configuration.  The current
draft version of IETF QUIC, which is UDP-based, is using what is
effectively TCP NewReno's congestion control algorithm:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-quic-recovery-22 .  In principle,
BBR could also be adopted to Rx (or QUIC), but I expect the design
philosophy to have substantial impedence mismatch for the current openafs
Rx implementation.

In general, how to achieve good performance on the so-called "high
bandwidth-delay product" links remains a difficult problem, with active
research efforts underway, as well as engineering work in SDOs like the
IETF.

-Ben