[OpenAFS] Client update and failover for afsdb hosts

Steve Simmons scs@umich.edu
Thu, 22 Aug 2019 15:03:38 -0400

--000000000000901fa20590b95922

Awesome, thanks.

Steve

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 2:59 PM Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 02:53:13PM -0400, Steve Simmons wrote:
> > To make a long story short, we're going to be moving the network on which
> > our afsdb servers reside from one data center to another. Trust me, you
> > don't want to know the details. This will required a period of time
> wherein
> > all the current afsdb hosts are down. The fileservers will not be
> affected.
> >
> > To minimize the pain during the transition, we're temporarily adding a
> > fourth non-voting server and updating CellServDB files appropriately.
> Some
> > questions have come up about how the clients will react to this change
> and
> > the best strategy to pursue for them. Complicating this are clients
> running
> > various versions of openafs, most of which are recent 1.6/1.8, but there
> > are a few 1.4.14/15 clients out there. All the clients referred to here
> are
> > running various flavors of Linux. Yeah, I could read the code  for all
> > those versions, but in case someone happens to know:
> >
> > Does a client read the CellServDB only at startup? Can it be forced to
> > re-read it without a restart?
> >
> > If a CellServDB contains multiple entries (4) for a given cell, does the
> > client process them in any particular order (round robin, random, other)?
> > If some are non-responsive, will the client give preference to the
> others?
>
> Look at fs newcell and fs setserverprefs.
>
> -Ben

--000000000000901fa20590b95922

lvetica,sans-serif">Awesome, thanks.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" styl=
" class=3D"gmail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"=
amin Kaduk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:kaduk@mit.edu">kaduk@mit.edu</a>&gt; wrote=
:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.=
8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">On Thu, Aug 22=
, 2019 at 02:53:13PM -0400, Steve Simmons wrote:<br>
&gt; To make a long story short, we&#39;re going to be moving the network o=
n which<br>
&gt; our afsdb servers reside from one data center to another. Trust me, yo=
u<br>
&gt; don&#39;t want to know the details. This will required a period of tim=
e wherein<br>
&gt; all the current afsdb hosts are down. The fileservers will not be affe=
cted.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; To minimize the pain during the transition, we&#39;re temporarily addi=
ng a<br>
&gt; fourth non-voting server and updating CellServDB files appropriately. =
Some<br>
&gt; questions have come up about how the clients will react to this change=
 and<br>
&gt; the best strategy to pursue for them. Complicating this are clients ru=
nning<br>
&gt; various versions of openafs, most of which are recent 1.6/1.8, but the=
re<br>
&gt; are a few 1.4.14/15 clients out there. All the clients referred to her=
e are<br>
&gt; running various flavors of Linux. Yeah, I could read the code=C2=A0 fo=
r all<br>
&gt; those versions, but in case someone happens to know:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Does a client read the CellServDB only at startup? Can it be forced to=
&gt; re-read it without a restart?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; If a CellServDB contains multiple entries (4) for a given cell, does t=
he<br>
&gt; client process them in any particular order (round robin, random, othe=
r)?<br>
&gt; If some are non-responsive, will the client give preference to the oth=
ers?<br>
Look at fs newcell and fs setserverprefs.<br>
-Ben<br>

--000000000000901fa20590b95922--