[OpenAFS] About `dafileserver` vs `fileserver` differences (for small cells)

Ciprian Dorin Craciun ciprian.craciun@gmail.com
Tue, 5 Mar 2019 22:05:25 +0200

Hello all!

I understand from the documentation that the main difference between
`dafileserver` and `fileserver` is the "on-demand-attach" of volumes.
However I wonder if there are other advantages / differences between
the two, especially with regard to:
* performance -- is `dafileserver` more performant than `fileserver`?
* reliability -- because (I assume) many cells have migrated to
`dafileserver` the "old" `fileserver` gets less used, thus less tested
in real deployments;
* maintenance -- is the `fileserver` still actively developed and maintained?

I ask this also from the perspective of a small cell operator (for
personal purposes), where attach-on-demand is not an issue, and in
fact I think I would prefer all my volumes to be attached as early as
possible.

Thanks,
Ciprian.