[OpenAFS] kafs client bugs

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Thu, 07 Mar 2019 14:10:45 +0100 (CET)

> From just the filenames, I don't see what some of the tests are meant to do -
> take "discon-create" for example.  This seems to be using some feature of Arla
> that isn't in OpenAFS.

You found the test of the Arla disconnected mode AFS feature (which
was not 100% finished but you could tell arla that it was running in
disconnected mode and then if you were lucky enough that your files
were in cache you could continue to read them).

> Would it be possible to import some of these tests into my kafs-client
> package?  I'm not clear what the licence on them is.

I think some of the tests are so trivial (write1) that everyone would
have done it like that. Others which are more elaborate like
write-6G-file.c have a BSD style license like most of Arla but the
Linux kernel module which is GPL/BSD dual licensed. So you probably
should not distribute the BSD licensed stuff under the GPL but nothing
forbids seperate distribution and usage of the tests for other file
systems. I have even found local file system problems with these tests.

And as usual: I am not a lawyer, so this is how I interpret what's in
the source ;-)

I would just run all of the tests to start with and of the ones
that fail decide one of
     * fix afs
     * fix test
     * delete test