[OpenAFS] new RW root.cell

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@mit.edu
Thu, 7 Mar 2019 18:53:13 -0600

On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 01:43:03PM -0500, Susan Litzinger wrote:
> I got that to work for root.cell and now I find that root.afs is in the
> same situation.  Does anyone see any harm in doing the same steps for
> root.afs?  It's current status is:
>
> [root@afs-vmc 2019-March]# vos volinfo -id root.afs -localauth
> root.afs                          536901418 RW        290 K  On-line
>     daphne.psc.edu /vicepdc
>     RWrite  536901418 ROnly          0 Backup  536903011
>     MaxQuota       1000 K
>     Creation    Thu Dec 23 09:37:33 1999
>     Copy        Sun Jun 10 11:24:25 2012
>     Backup      Sat Mar  2 02:32:35 2019
>     Last Access Tue Feb 12 13:45:30 2013
>     Last Update Tue Jan  9 00:24:10 2007
>     0 accesses in the past day (i.e., vnode references)
>
>     RWrite: 536901418     ROnly: 536903611     Backup: 536903011
>     number of sites -> 5
>        *server daphne.psc.edu <http://daphne.psc.edu> partition /vicepdc RW
> Site *
>        server velma.psc.edu partition /vicepcb RO Site
>        server fred.psc.edu partition /vicepbd RO Site
>        server daphne.psc.edu partition /vicepdd RO Site
>       * server afs-vmc.psc.edu <http://afs-vmc.psc.edu> partition /vicepgb
> RO Site  -- Not released*

The RW is on daphne vicepdc but daphne's RO is on vicepdd?  That's the same
XDEV situation from before.

> So I will remove the daphe vicepdd RO volume using 'vos remove' , 'vos
> release' root.afs, create a RO on daphne vicepc using 'vos remsite', then

(vicepdc, fixing the typo)

> move the volume to afs-vmc partition vicepgb using 'vos move'.

Sounds good.

> BUT, should the afs.root and afs.cell volumes be on different servers as
> they were in our initial implementation?  I couldn't find anything in the
> doc that states this but wanted to make sure before I went ahead and did
> it.

It is unlikely to matter much in practice.  Essentially all consumers are
fine with RO access, which should be quite robust with the four RO sites.
It's probably advisable to have the RO sites for root.afs and root.cell
colocated on the same *server* (not partition), to avoid getting into a
disaster situation where many servers are down and only one of the two
volumes is accessible, but again that's a very low-likelihood situation.

-Ben