[OpenAFS] About `dafileserver` vs `fileserver` differences (for small cells)

Ciprian Dorin Craciun ciprian.craciun@gmail.com
Mon, 11 Mar 2019 00:20:43 +0200

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 12:06 AM Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> wrote:
> To be clear, they do share a great bit of code (dafs was not "from
> scratch"), but there are many places that do get differential treatment in
> the source -- look for AFS_DEMAND_ATTACH_FS preprocessor conditionals.

Based on what I see:

  https://github.com/openafs/openafs/search?q=AFS_DEMAND_ATTACH_FS
  https://github.com/openafs/openafs/blob/c1d39153da00d5525b2f7874b2d214a7f1b1bb86/src/viced/Makefile.in#L15
  https://github.com/openafs/openafs/blob/c1d39153da00d5525b2f7874b2d214a7f1b1bb86/src/dviced/Makefile.in#L15

I would assume that most of the code is common (in terms of files),
and at compile time the sources are re-built with different defines.

Thus I think that when one would modify the code, in large part the
code is common, and where it isn't at least the "switch" is visible in
there.  Therefore I'm confident that the `fileserver` is still a
viable solution.  :)

Ciprian.