[OpenAFS] looking for (old) paper discussing the global name space

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@mit.edu
Tue, 8 Oct 2019 23:52:24 -0700

Hi all,

A bit off topic, but as NFSv4 is implementing cross-server referrals, the
prospect of having a central server that just makes referrals to other
(data-hosting) servers as a sort of global file system namespace has come
up, and I offered to find a reference to use for discussion of the prior
work.  For context, that reference would be used from
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc5661sesqui-msns-02#section-11.5.6
.  I did find
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~satya/docdir/spasojevic-tocs-afs-measurement-1996.pdf
which has some discussion of this topic in the scope of a broader
retrospective on the wide-area filesystem, but I was wondering if anyone
knew of a more-focused reference for the global nature of the namespace.

Thanks,

Ben