vos/bos and the kernel (Re: [OpenAFS] 2020 AFS Technologies Workshop Cancelled.. kafs update)

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Mon, 06 Apr 2020 15:52:27 +0200 (CEST)

(I did cut down the cc list a little.)

> The OpenAFS bos, vos and backup commands can be run from the client too, I
> think, since they don't require any interaction with the afs kernel module.

They use the token. I think they _could_ make an own token from the
ticket but don't.

Another thing vos is unaware of is the status of the servers over
time. Even if the kernel knows that certain servers are down, vos does
not and will still try to contact them and timeout. And the next
invocation of vos _again_.

Harald.