[OpenAFS] Slow loading of virtually hosted web content

Kendrick Hernandez kendrick.hernandez@umbc.edu
Tue, 14 Dec 2021 12:51:57 -0500

--00000000000022916705d31ed9dc

On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 6:25 PM Jeffrey E Altman <jaltman@auristor.com>
wrote:

> On 11/29/2021 1:11 PM, Kendrick Hernandez (kendrick.hernandez@umbc.edu)
> wrote:
>
> We were able to narrow the problem down to DNS timeouts from an internal
> DNS server that had reached its limit for NF connection tracking. Once that
> limit was increased, the issue went away.
> Along with some forwarded insights from the folks at CMU and some isolated
> testing, we were able to confirm that disabling dynamic root and DNS-based
> server discovery on the cache manager also worked around issue.
>
> I'm glad you identified a solution.
>
> Do you know what the issued DNS queries were for?

We believe they were triggered by requests for /afs/.htaccess, as these web
servers have it enabled.

> The primary reason to avoid disabling dynamic root is the machine restarts
> and the OpenAFS cache manager cannot read the "root.afs" volume from the
> cell, the system will panic.  This could be due to the machine booting
> without a network interface or a failure of the cell similar to what
> occurred on January 14th of this year.
>
> The afsd -afsdb option is not required for a web server that will only be
> serving content from the local cell if the cell's location service list of
> servers is present in the local CellServDB file.   Sites that want the
> option of being able to dynamically relocate their location service
> instances will want to avoid local CellServDB entries.

Ah, good to know. Thanks!

k-

--
Kendrick Hernandez
*UNIX Systems Administrator*

--00000000000022916705d31ed9dc

ey E Altman &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jaltman@auristor.com">jaltman@auristor.co=
:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"=

 =20
   =20
 =20
      Hernandez (<a href=3D"mailto:kendrick.hernandez@umbc.edu" target=3D"_=
blank">kendrick.hernandez@umbc.edu</a>) wrote:<br>
     =20
        timeouts from an internal DNS server that had reached its limit
        for NF connection tracking. Once that limit was increased, the
        issue went away. <br>
          and some isolated testing, we were able to confirm that
          disabling dynamic root and DNS-based server discovery on the
          cache manager also worked around issue. <br>
ockquote><div>We believe they were triggered by requests for /afs/.htaccess=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px=
      restarts and the OpenAFS cache manager cannot read the &quot;root.afs=
&quot;
      volume from the cell, the system will panic.=C2=A0 This could be due =
      the machine booting without a network interface or a failure of
      the cell similar to what occurred on January 14th of this year.</p>
      only be serving content from the local cell if the cell&#39;s locatio=
      service list of servers is present in the local CellServDB file.=C2=
=A0=C2=A0
      Sites that want the option of being able to dynamically relocate
      their location service instances will want to avoid local
      CellServDB entries.=C2=A0 <br>
vision of Information Technology<br><span style=3D"font-family:georgia,seri=
iv>

--00000000000022916705d31ed9dc--