[OpenAFS] error in restoring volumes from backup when the size of at least one volume exceeds 450-500 GB

Giovanni Bracco giovanni.bracco@enea.it
Tue, 6 Jul 2021 15:16:17 +0200

The backup of our AFS cell is performed using the standard OpenAFS
backup command and we know that it works nicely  if the maximum size of
volumes does not exceeds 450-500 GB.

If at least one volumes exceeds that size, the restore  of any volume is
unpredictable, for some it works, for others it doesn't.

When it does not work this is the message we obtain in the restore phase:

backup volrestore -server cresco-fs2.portici.enea.it -partition a
-volume user.user0 -extension .20210627 1 -usedump 1624745427

backup: waiting for job termination
Starting restore

Full restore being processed on port 0

Restore
Restoring volume user.user0.20210627
1
Prompt for tape mega2106d.f.5 (1624616735)
Thanks, now proceeding with tape reading operation.
Proceeding with tape operation
Restoring volume user.user0.20210627
1 Id 0 on server cresco-fs2.portici.enea.it partition /vicepa ..
Could not create new volume 0
    : Argument list too long
: Argument list too long
Can't read EOF on tape
      butm: unexpected tape datablock
Can't restore volume user.user0.20210627
1
      : Argument list too long
Restore: Skipping volume user.user0.backup (536870932)
Restore: Finished
Job 1: Full Restore finished
-------

where the essential part I think is:

Could not create new volume 0
    : Argument list too long
: Argument list too long
Can't read EOF on tape
      butm: unexpected tape datablock

The error is now obtained on a brand new test AFS cell, with OpenAFS
1.8.7 everywhere, both on DB servers and fileservers (CentOS 7.x)

The backup is performed on 100 GB disk files (we have tried also with
200GB files but the result is the same error).

Any suggestion?

Giovanni

--
Giovanni Bracco
phone  +39 351 8804788

Questo messaggio e i suoi allegati sono indirizzati esclusivamente alle persone indicate e la casella di posta elettronica da cui e' stata inviata e' da qualificarsi quale strumento aziendale.
La diffusione, copia o qualsiasi altra azione derivante dalla conoscenza di queste informazioni sono rigorosamente vietate (art. 616 c.p, D.Lgs. n. 196/2003 s.m.i. e GDPR Regolamento - UE 2016/679).
Qualora abbiate ricevuto questo documento per errore siete cortesemente pregati di darne immediata comunicazione al mittente e di provvedere alla sua distruzione. Grazie.

This e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may contain privileged information intended for the addressee(s) only.
Dissemination, copying, printing or use by anybody else is unauthorised (art. 616 c.p, D.Lgs. n. 196/2003 and subsequent amendments and GDPR UE 2016/679).
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments and advise the sender by return e-mail. Thanks.