[OpenAFS] Slow loading of virtually hosted web content

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri, 19 Nov 2021 21:23:19 -0500

>- most of the community knowledge about tuning, both for fileservers and
>  cache managers, has been recorded in various workshop presentations over
>  the years.  That should include what parameters to tune and how to
>  determine whether changes are helping (or hurting)

You know ... I've attended those workshop presentations for a very long
time, and maybe my memory is going.  But here's what I vaguely remember:

- AFS performance tuning is a "black art".  My interpretation of this is
  there is no obvious answer to make things better.

- The various tuning strategies seem to be "I tried adjusting <X>
  and it helped me, and when I adjusted <Y> it made things worse".  And
  X and Y seem to be non-obvious and vary depending on operating
  system level, version of OpenAFS, and a mixture of quantum randomness.

So I think looking at the workshop presentations will ... not be useful.

--Ken