[OpenAFS] Networking AFS related problem

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Thu, 03 Feb 2022 08:42:54 +0100 (CET)

Hi Jeff!

> It is unlikely that an ISP is blocking UDP traffic.

For some value of "ISP". I have been to Karolinska Institutet who did
supply Internet through the same "eduroam" cooperation as my home
university. However, the "AFS experience" was totally different
as in "non existent" on that "eduroam" as they had implemented ...

> The most likely
> causes are a poorly implemented firewall

...firewall rules which blocked most of the UDP ports.

> It has been reported[1] that more than half of the web browser
> connections from Chrome browers to Google's servers are performed
> using the UDP based QUIC protocol.

But I bet chrome will work around the situation "no UDP" to a much
greater extent than AFS.

Greetigs,
Harald.