[OpenAFS] How to replace pam_krb5 on RHEL 8 systems

Dave Botsch botsch@cnf.cornell.edu
Mon, 11 Jul 2022 09:35:17 -0400

I wanted to mention that we are successfully doing ssh and gnome-shell
logins with pam_sssd where sssd takes care of authN via kerberos and via
ldap provides group information, and pam_afs_session to get afs tokens.

Two difficulties... if using PAGSHs, not all processes run inside a
pagsh, which can break gnome-shell stuff. So not using PAGsh is
recommended.

and with systemd_login, it and subprocesses don't necessarily quit on
logout. Which means they are sitting there banging away against afs with
no tokens (if you use afs homedirs). There is an option to force
systemd_login to quit at logout, though this breaks the use of things
like screen and tmux, iirc.

I'm happy to provide our configs (we worked with RedHat support to get
sssd working properly migrating from nslcd and pam_krb5 on rhel6).

thanks