[OpenAFS] Question for admins regarding pts membership output

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com
Wed, 13 Jul 2022 23:38:20 +0000

On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 1:49 PM Jeffrey E Altman <jaltman@auristor.com> wrote:

> The question for cell admins is whether anyone is aware of any internal
> scripts which process the output of "pts membership" which will break as
> a result of the inclusion of the implicit groups "system:anyuser" and
> "system:authuser" in output.
>
> Your assistance is appreciated.

I am no longer a cell admin, but I am sure such
scripts (which process the output) exist, and
will need modification.

I am, however, in favor of expanding the
output (although an " (implicit) " append
might be useful to help humans interpret
the result, and for scripts to be able to
parse such).

However, while out of scope, I would (long
term) prefer the output of commands to be
able to generate a machine parseable
output (json?) so that parsing output can
be more robust(*)(**).

Gary

(*) I presume like many others I have
more than once written a script which
parsee the output of a command and
experienced breakage when upstream
changed the format of the output.

(**) And while I do not know what the
json would include, an "implicit" boolean
flag would seem to be desirable for
each array element of the result.