[OpenAFS] Advice on using BTRFS for vicep partitions on Linux

Ciprian Craciun ciprian.craciun@gmail.com
Tue, 21 Mar 2023 20:57:06 +0200

Hello all!

I've searched the mailing archive (and the internet) about this topic,
but came a bit empty-handed, as the last proper mention of BTRFS on
this mailing list was 10 years ago.

So, given so much time has passed, I would like to ask the OpenAFS
community if anyone has any experience on using BTRFS (on Linux) as a
file-system for `/vicepX` partitions.

Based on what I know, the OpenAFS file-server doesn't have many
requirements for the underlying file-system besides the usual POSIX
meta-data (protection mode, uid+gid, and timestamps?), thus I see no
reason why it wouldn't work.  (But before trying it out, I thought
I'll ask.)  :)

Currently I use Ext4 over MD RAID5, and all is nice.  However, I'm
testing out BTRFS as a successor to Ext4, for two main reasons:
* data integrity;  (both to detect bit-rot, and possible software
glitches that might corrupt my files;)
* compression;  (especially for text files and similar;)
* snapshots;  (it could provide a guard against any possible OpenAFS
glitches, although to date I only suffered one symlink corruption;)

Yes, I know there is also ZFS, but I don't want to go that route.  At
the moment I want to take a more conservative approach and just use
BTRFS over RAID5 as with the previous Ext4 (and JFS before that).

Thanks,
Ciprian.