[OpenAFS] Advice on using BTRFS for vicep partitions on Linux

Ciprian Craciun ciprian.craciun@gmail.com
Wed, 22 Mar 2023 15:18:12 +0200

On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 3:11=E2=80=AFPM Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@altu=
m.de> wrote:
> > it's not in-kernel; which means sooner or later one would encounter
> > problems.
>
> Can you please elaborate? I run two ZFS systems @home where one is an
> OpenAFS fileserver and client, the other one a client only. They both
> started as Debian Stretch and have been updated to Buster and then
> Bullseye and I've never had any problems because of ZFS being
> out-of-tree. The Debian DKMS system does quite a good job.

Well, I base this supposition on my simple observation with OpenAFS's
own client which is also out-of-tree and requires custom module builds
(via DKMS or equivalent).

For example I use OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (rolling release), and sometimes
I need to delay my updates until the distribution manages to get the
modules ready (with the latest Linux kernel).

Granted, this doesn't usually happen on OpenSUSE Leap, although (for
some reason) the package manager from time to time decides to remove
the old `libafs.ko` for the current running kernel, which (in case
`afsd` must be restarted, for example as is the case of updates)
requires me to reboot the system.

I bet the same applies to ZFS also.

Ciprian.