[OpenAFS] writeable /afs bind mount inside a podman container

Chad W Seys cwseys@physics.wisc.edu
Tue, 16 May 2023 15:22:31 +0000

Hi all,=0A=
  I'm using podman to run a container with a non-root user ("rootless") and=
 trying to bind mount /afs into the container such that it is writeable.=0A=
  The user already has tokens, so in principle processes in container can w=
rite to the bind mounted /afs inside the container.  Instead inside the con=
tainer /afs appears to be writeable, but any attempts to write result in "P=
ermission denied".=0A=
  In fact, using apptainer to create a container from the same image and bi=
nd mounting /afs into the container does result in a writeable /afs, so I k=
now it's possible!  (I've thought of switching to apptainer instead of podm=
an, but it has other problems.)=0A=
=0A=
If anyone has gotten this to work let me know!=0A=
C.=