[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Version 1.2.10 installer bug

Sebastian Schuberth s.schuberth@tu-bs.de
Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:16:05 +0200

Hi!

When executing the installer, it extracts some temporary files and tries
to launch "Setup.exe", which is a 16-bit Windows executable. This
results in an error dialog box ("Error in 16-Bit-Windows-Program") under
my Windows XP Pro SP1 and installation fails. The problem is related to
the InstallShield installer and also described here:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1054636967

In version 1.2.9a, I was able to fix this by manually extracting the
installer with WinRAR and replacing the existing 16-bit files with true
32-bit version of "_ISDEL.EXE", "_SETUP.DLL" and "SETUP.EXE" which I
copied from another application that also uses the InstallShield installer.

In order to correct this, I'd like to suggest to move away completely
from InstallShield and use InnoSetup (http://www.innosetup.com/) or NSIS
(http://nsis.sf.net/) instead. Both are free even for commercial use.

But for now I'd be grateful for any suggestion how to make version
1.2.10 install under WinXP.

--

Sebastian Schuberth