[OpenAFS-win32-devel] @sys variable name

Tim C. tim@umbc.edu
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 10:34:30 -0400 (EDT)

> In Feb 2004, IBM dropped support for Windows NT4 systems.
> As such they renamed the sysname from "i386_nt40" to "i386_win2k" as
> documented at:
>
> http://www-306.ibm.com/software/stormgmt/afs/manuals/Library/patch.readme.htm#HDRWINDOWS_PRODUCT_NOTES
>
> What is the opinion of the community regarding this change?

  I was actually always suprised at the fact that windows didn't do
this.  I would be all for this.  People that use this regularly, but
don't want to distinguish between them, can just place links from
i386_win2k to i386_nt40.  We've done this for a number of other OSes.
One question I would through out there is, why not i386_nt50?  I mean
sun is still sun4x_59(not sure what the sysname for 10 is), in spite of
the OS being solaris 9.

Tim

Tim Craig            These are my opinions and not my employers. :)
OIT-Systems
tim@umbc.edu         It's hard to be serious when you're
                       naked. - Garfield