[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Integrated Login Fails

Ben Fineman bfineman@internet2.edu
Fri, 06 Aug 2004 09:36:56 -0400

Thanks for your help on this issue. The problem was two-fold: in the
krb5.ini file, there was a hidden "^M" character following the domain
realm entry (our mistake). This did not cause a formatting error but
caused us to be unable to get tokens through the AFS client. Secondly,
even with this corrected and being able to get tokens from the AFS
client application, integrated logon still fails. We have concluded that
this is due to the fact the we utilize "IBM Access Connections" to
manage our network connections. Unfortunately, Access Connections does
not start up the network interface until after logging on to Windows. We
noticed the following in the afs-issues.txt file:

===
(13) AFS Integrated Logon:
(13b) If using Kerberos, need to figure out a means of passing credentials
      into the user space until such time as I finish the new credential
      cache service.
(13c) If network is not available must store the username and password
      somewhere until such time as the network starts.
===

This suggests to me that this is a known issue, and as the client is
written now integrated login will always fail if no network is available
at logon time. We will hopefully look forward to this feature in a
future release, however, we understand that this is a non-trivial
problem as caching of Kerberos passwords would need to be done in a
secure way.

Thanks for your help,
Ben