[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Re: Community Support for OpenAFS for Windows

Joe Buehler jbuehler@hekimian.com
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:40:18 -0400

Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> * Implementation of an Installable File System option for those sites
>   with increased performance requirements and who do not rely on the
>   Windows Client Side Caching support for redirected folders

I will mention this in case you don't know about it -- there was a free
installable filesystem on a Microsoft Research site some time back whose
purpose was to allow user-level filesystems to be easily written -- the
kernel part of it just called out to user space.  If you can get a copy,
you might consider this as an intermediate stage between the current
SMB approach and a full-blown native filesystem.  I am thinking that it
would likely perform much better but not take so much time to develop.
--
Joe Buehler