[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] OpenAFS for Windows Documentation requires review

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 07:24:12 -0400

At 10:06 AM 8/22/04, you wrote:
>Well, let's see.  10 months ago we did not have an installer.  A lot of
>time and energy was spent developing the NSIS installer by members of the
>community.  Unfortunately it doesn't meet the needs of everyone but it is
>being used.
>
>Then three months ago the WiX installer was created.  Since Microsoft
>finally open sourced it.  A lot of time and energy is being spent on
>that.  At the current time there is no reason to force a choice between
>one or the other and I am not about to abandon organizations which decided
>to customize the NSIS one.

Most companies deal with this stituation by creating a wrapper exe for the
MSI installer.  That way only one installer needs to be maintained.  The
wrapper forces a look and feel of the regular GUI install process.  Is this
a problem for the OpenAFS MSI installer?  I haven't tried it yet.

Rodney