[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Use of the Windows Registry

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:57:25 -0600

On Wednesday, February 25, 2004 7:34p <rsm4@ieee.org> wrote:
> I like a lot of this, except may I propose:
>
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>
>> locations.  However, all new registry parameters affecting the client
>> experience
>> be stored under the roots:
>>
>>     HKLM\SOFTWARE\OpenAFS.ORG\
>>     HKCU\SOFTWARE\OpenAFS.ORG\
>
> Because the server may want to store new configuration information,
> too, maybe there should be two sets of keys:
>
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\OpenAFS.ORG\Client\
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\OpenAFS.ORG\Server\
>
> I don't think the server will need any Current User information, but
> for consistency, I'd like:
> HKCU\SOFTWARE\OpenAFS.ORG\Client\
>

> Thoughts or comments?

Is there really a need to seperate out client and server?  I would hope
that the key names would determine weather or not the client or server
uses the key.  I also supect that most people with only be running
clients.

I would also want the installer to migrate keys from the old locations
to the new ones and then remove the old keys, if its not too much
trouble.

<<CDC
Christopher D. Clausen
ACM@UIUC SysAdmin