[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Use of the Windows Registry

Rob Murawski rsm4@ieee.org
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 21:39:12 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> Will you write and contribute the code necessary to make these
> changes and perform the migration?

Either way, I need to write something.  We either have to:
1) Provide a method to uninstall while keeping configuration information.
2) Migrate existing changes elsewhere in the registry.

However, I agree with you that we shouldn't move everything just yet
because of dependencies.  I don't foresee any new keys in the near future
on the server side, either. (And I like that it mirrors the configuration
of the server on Unix)

Looking at what the installer writes, we should probably have the
installer mirror:
1) Install path
2) Debug flag
3) Version information

in the SOFTWARE key.  This *COULD* fit into OpenAFS.ORG as
"ServerInstallPath" and "ServerDebugFlag".  The version information can
also be tagged with "Server"  Eventually, the server can be updated to
look at the new locations. (I'd recommend after several production
versions to give people time to update scripts)

I don't see anything else that would need to be kept in case of an
uninstall and everything else can be reconstructed when re-installed.

This just gives us a good place to grab it if the service is uninstalled.
Likewise, the uninstaller can update this information if the user wants to
keep uninstall information.

Seem like a decent compromise?

-Rob