[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Five questions on MSI and Heimdal

Tommie Gannert d00-tga@d.kth.se
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 17:34:58 +0200 (MEST)

> >Can it be because I'm logged in localy as Administrator, but
> >accessing AFS as the network user?
> >

> what exactly does it mean to access AFS as the network user?

I just meant that I don't have a AFS user named "Administrator". And
that I have to Leash32 tokens (as a different user) after Windows login.

> You are providing an alternative username to the SMB client to use when
> establishing the connection?

No.

> >And it wasn't the Cancel key, sorry. It was the OK button, but with
> >user/password fields empty.
> >

> That means use the default account password and it is what should be
> done automatically for you.

Ok, that makes sense. (It just doesn't do it non-interactively.)

> What OS are you running on?

Windows 2000 Pro SP4 (Swe)

> How are you authenticated to the OS?  Local account?  Kerberos 5
> External Realm?
> Smart card?

Local account using password. I have Windows ksetup in a Kerberos5
Heimdal realm, but I'm not using that (yet) for login.

> >Also, I get a ktc_SetToken() failure in KfW if I try to login without
> >first accessing \\AFS, hitting OK in the password dialog.
> >

> That makes sense if you are not being authenticated to the SMB server
> automatically
> then the pioctl() call to set/get token will fail.

Ah, ok.

> >>Although I don't recommend creating global mappings to cellnames.
> >>

> >This confuses me. I should _not_ do a Global Drives->Add on Z: -> /afs/cell?
> >Why are they called submounts? Where are the "mounts"?
> >

> On the global drives there is a "Description" field.  That field is the
> submount name.
> What did you put there?

Just some string; "cell" (since I was interrested in the drive
letter, not the SMB share).

> No.  Its because the UI sucks and needs to be completely re-written.
> I just do not have time nor funding to make this happen.

Enlighteningly explicit. ;)

The whole submounts (which right now is what confuses me) should be a
SMB side effect, though.