[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Re: OpenAFS-1.3.66 freelance access to RW path

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:06:03 -0500

The point is the freelance does not work as expected to get at the RW path
in a cell. If I did not use freelance, but relied on connectivity to the home cell,
access /afs/.anl.gov/ would have worked.

Our users will be surprised if they use freelance the way it is.
I would suggest that adding a DriveLetter with the cell starting with a "." would
add the  .<cell>%<cell>:root.cell to the fake root.cell in the registry.

The other suggestions below don't appear to work either.

Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> Douglas E. Engert wrote:
>
> >It does not appear to work. I tried adding a mount for .anl.gov using the
> >afs Client Driv Letter Add dialog. Is there some other way to specify the RW path?
> >

> this does not add mount points.
>
> >I see in the registry:
> >
> >[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OpenAFS\Client\Freelance]
> >"0"="anl.gov#anl.gov:root.cell.
> >"
> >"1"=".anl.gov#.anl.gov:root.cell.
> >"
> >

> These are both read only mount points.
>
> >If I change the last line to:
> >"1"=".anl.gov%anl.gov:root.cell.
> >"
> >(i.e. change "#." to "%")  restart, then I can access the RW path.
> >

> You can automatically add a mount point by accessing \\AFS\.cellname\ or
> you can manually

That did not work, I tried adding .fnal.gov and it added
.fnal.gov#.fnal.gov:root.cell to the registry which has the same problem.

> create a mount point with
>
>     fs mkmount \\AFS\all\.anl.gov   root.cell   anl.gov  -rw

That gives: fs: mount points must be created within the AFS file system as the
fs does not apprear to operate on the fake root cell used by freelance.

--

 Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert@anl.gov>
 Argonne National Laboratory