[OpenAFS-win32-devel] "buffer overrun detected" message from Visual C++ Runtime Library

Richard Hansen rhansen@mitre.org
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:23:01 -0400

I just installed OpenAFS for Windows version 1.3.6400 on a fresh Windows
XP install on a Pentium M laptop.  I mapped drive Z: to \afs and typed
"afs-root" as its description.  I then obtained tokens and went to drive
Z: in Windows Explorer.  As soon as I clicked on the one and only folder
named "rcf" contained in Z:, I got this message:

---------------
(title) Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Buffer overrun detected!

Program: ... Files\OpenAFS\Client\Program\afsd_service.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's
internal state.  The program cannot safely continue execution and must
now be terminated.

[OK]

It happens reliably whenever I click on that folder.  I mapped \afs\rcf
to drive R: and I have no problems accessing everything inside R: (that
I'm allowed to access anyway).

Perhaps there's a bug lurking?

Richard Hansen