[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Re: Use of the Windows Registry

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@columbia.edu
Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:57:19 -0500

--------------000000010501030200010005

Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> Meghadri Ghosh wrote:
>
>> Perhaps the afsdbmt.ini containing the drive mappings could be moved
>> to be per user.
>>
>> I believe the current code could be maintained by simply create the
>> following key: (The default value can be set to some suitable key,
>> perhaps under 'Software\\OpenAFS.org\\Client'?)
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
>> NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\afsdbmt.ini]
>> @="#USR:Software\\OpenAFS.org\\afsdbmt
>>
>> Thus per user mapping settings could be maintained.
>
> Interesting.  I will have to try this.

Unfortunately, this change is simplistic.  The AFSDSBMT.INI file is used
to store data
both for the local user and the AFS Client Service.  The data stored in
the file is global
but is not meant to be.  An architectural fix is going to be required to
separate user
specific submounts from global submounts.

Jeffrey Altman

--------------000000010501030200010005

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
  <title></title>
 face="Bitstream Cyberbit">Perhaps the afsdbmt.ini containing the drive
mappings could be moved to be per user. <br>
I believe the current code could be maintained by simply create the
following key: (The default value can be set to some suitable key,
perhaps under 'Software\\OpenAFS.org\\Client'?) <br>
NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\afsdbmt.ini] <br>
@="#USR:Software\\OpenAFS.org\\afsdbmt <br>
Thus per user mapping settings could be maintained. <br>
Unfortunately, this change is simplistic.&nbsp; The AFSDSBMT.INI file is
used to store data<br>
both for the local user and the AFS Client Service.&nbsp; The data stored in
the file is global<br>
but is not meant to be.&nbsp; An architectural fix is going to be required
to separate user<br>
specific submounts from global submounts.<br>
Jeffrey Altman<br>

--------------000000010501030200010005--