[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Proposal: @sys names for future releases

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:39:41 -0600

Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> IBM changed the @sys name used for their distribution of AFS for Windows
> to "i386_w2k".  I don't believe that this is a particularly useful
> change since there are not significant differences between the platforms.
>
> I am going to make the following proposal for @sys names for future
> releases of OpenAFS for Windows which will help distinguish the platform
> OpenAFS is running on:
>
>     x86_win32 - for x86 32-bit architectures
>
>     x86_win64 - for x86/amd 64-bit architectures
>
>     itanium_win64 - for itanium 64-bit architectures
>
> Does anyone feel that these are bad choices?  As OpenAFS for Windows
> supports multiple names I am going to set the sysname list to
>
>       "x86_win32 i386_w2k i386_nt40" on existing 32-bit systems

What does it mean to support multiple names?

What will fs sysname return? The first in the list?

When a request to open a file or directory  with @sys Will it try
and substitute each of these nmaes in order then test if the file or
directory exists? What if the request has multiple @sys, will it make
sure they both use the same name?

And I  favor Kris's suggestions for consistency of the procesor names.

--

  Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory