[OpenAFS-win32-devel] msi upgrade requires original package?

Asanka C Herath asanka@MIT.EDU
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 15:43:34 -0400 (EDT)

> I was under the impression that the rc5 information was cached by
> Windows somewhere and the source msi was no longer needed.  I guess
> this is not correct?  Am I supposed to keep all .msi files in the
> same directory then for proper upgrading/downgrading?

Windows Installer does cache the original MSI.  However during a minor
upgrade it tries to find a an MSI with the same name to perform the
upgrade with, regardless of the MSI name you specified when invoking
msiexec.  Not accounting for this is a bug in the OpenAFS MSI.

A temporary workaround is to rename the RC6 MSI to match the cached name
and proceed with the minor upgrade install.  Copying the RC5 or the cached
MSI there and invoking msiexec in reinstall mode has the effect of
reinstalling the old package.

An additional workaround is to uninstall the old MSI and install the new
one.

In the future, each version of the OpenAFS MSI will have a unique product
code which will eliminate this problem as well as the special
minor-upgrade invocation.

Regards,

Asanka Herath