[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Re: Draft HTML OpenAFS for Windows 1.4.0 Release Notes

asanka@secure-endpoints.com asanka@secure-endpoints.com
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:28:02 -0400

> Do I have to uninstall the previous version before installing
> a new version?

No.

> Section 7.4 is a little hazy on this point --
> it talks about having to uninstall in order to upgrade, but
> later it is talking about invoking msiexec.exe with the
> options "vomus".

The MSI based installer will uninstall the existing product during an
upgrade.  This is not something that you need to do manually.

However, Windows Installer will not automatically start an installation for
a newer product if it is a minor upgrade.  Therefore you need to invoke
'msiexec.exe' with the reinstall options 'vomus'.

E.g.:  msiexec /fvomus [path-to-new-msi-file]

This is documented in :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/a
pplying_small_updates_by_reinstalling_the_product.asp

> Does vomus do the uninstall for me?

Yes.[1]

> Or am I expected to
> uninstall then run with "vomus"?

No.  If you manually uninstall, you can just run the new installer.  You
don't need to specify the reinstall options ('vomus').

Regards,

Asanka Herath

[1] By invoking msiexec with the reinstall options 'vomus', you are
effectively re-installing an existing product using a newer installer
package.  The OpenAFS MSI package is designed to uninstall the existing
product before installing the new one in this particular case.