[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Slow Windows logins with AFS installed

Ted Anderson ota@surfvi.com
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:42:30 -0400

On 01/26/2006 22:42, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Ted Anderson wrote:
>>I don't believe this explanation applies to my case.  My AFS client
>>service is configured to start at boot time.  I do not use a roaming
>>profile and none of my profile stuff is stored in AFS.  The delay I am
>>seeing occurs when logging in and out without rebooting, and while using
>>AFS just fine both before logging out and after logging back in.
>

> I am explaining to you how the code is written.  If the AFS Client
> Service has not started when you log in, the login will not complete
> until it does.

It would seem that this would delay the first login after booting the
system, assuming the AFS is configured to start a boot time, which I do.
  But it does not seem like it would affect subsequent log ins.  Yet, it
is slow logins long after the system has booted and AFS is running
correctly that I am referring to.

> This has nothing to do with roaming profiles.  Let us imagine a local
> profile that accesses a resource stored in AFS.  For example, an update
> to the anti-virus dictionary.  The purpose of this functionality is to
> ensure that if AFS is installed on the machine that AFS is functional
> when the user logs in.  Not after the user logs in.

Do you mean to say that the code "ensures" "that AFS is functional"
every time some one logs in?  What type of checks does it do?

Ted