[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Slow Windows logins with AFS installed

Ted Anderson ota@surfvi.com
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 20:07:15 -0400

I have had a problem with recent versions of Windows AFS in which it
causes a long delay (60-90 seconds) when logging in.  I always disable
integrated logon, but it doesn't help.  In the past, I had to search
through the registry and find references to afslogon and got rid of some
of them.  Through trial and error and numerous reboots I was able to get
login to go at a normal speed.  Lately, though I've been using Spybot
Search and Destroy, so I have a more deterministic mechanism to report.
  I go into the tools section, system startup panel and delete the
entries for AfsLogon and KFWLogon (this latter might not be necessary as
I don't run KfW).  Then I reboot and login is fast.

My situation is that I generally use AFS through a VPN, which is off
when I login.  I have the client configured into a cell behind the VPN.
  So after logging in, I start the VPN and run klog before attempting to
use AFS.  I am using freelance to create the /afs volume dynamically.  I
am running Windows 2000 Professional SP4.  I observe these slow logins
on both my desktop and laptop, so it isn't a funny characteristic of a
single machine.

With the release of 1.4.1rc5, I installed the latest Windows client
(server is uninstalled, but I have the MS Loopback adapter installed)
and verified that the problem remains and the above-described
work-around still works.

Is this a known problem?  Is there a better fix than using Spybot tools?
  Is there other information about my configuration I could provide that
would help?

Ted Anderson