[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Slow Windows logins with AFS installed

Ted Anderson ota@surfvi.com
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 20:33:04 -0400

On 01/26/2006 01:03, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> There is no problem.

Glad to hear it.

> One of the functions of afslogon.dll separate
> from obtaining tokens is to ensure that the OpenAFS Client Service is
> in a running state before allowing the user's profile to execute.
 > If you are seeing a delay it is because the AFS Client Service is not
 > starting and this may very well be due to the fact that the drivers
 > and services upon which the AFS Client Service depends are either not
 > properly configured on your machine or have not been able to finish
 > starting themselves.

I don't believe this explanation applies to my case.  My AFS client
service is configured to start at boot time.  I do not use a roaming
profile and none of my profile stuff is stored in AFS.  The delay I am
seeing occurs when logging in and out without rebooting, and while using
AFS just fine both before logging out and after logging back in.

> Note that if you can't access your AFS cell AND  you are not using
> Freelance mode, the AFS Client Service is not going to be able to start
> because it won't be able to access the root.afs volume until the VPN is
> up.  This is part of the reason Freelance mode exists.

Right, this is part of the reason why I have enabled the freelance
client.  With freelance, the configuration of the default cell seems to
have little functional impact, but does provide the convenience of not
having to specify a cell when running klog and pts commands.

Once I get logged in and start the VPN, AFS works just fine, both with
and without the registery settings I needed to alter.  Based on this, my
suggestion is that these settings should automatically be removed when
"Obtain AFS tokens when logging into Windows" is NOT checked.

Ted