[OpenAFS-win32-devel] problem with file open for read-only

Tomcsányi Roland zazu@mars.elte.hu
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:15:05 +0100

Hello,

> AFS does not support byte range locks but Windows requires them.
> Therefore, when a file is opened for writing, the cache manager on
> that machine obtains a full file write lock.  All other cache managers
> are then prevented from reading the file until the file has been closed.
>
> When Office opens a file for read-only, it obtains a lock when the
> file is read and then it releases the lock.  This allows another cache
> manager to obtain the lock.

This means my problem not an program error, so it not will be change
in future versions?

Other words, if we need to open doc/xls for read-only while other user
opened it for read-write then we have to find some other solutions??

Best regards:    Roland