[OpenAFS-win32-devel] Regarding Static Port Numbers in OpenAFS

Bharat Kulkarni bharat.pict@gmail.com
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:51:16 +0530

------=_Part_20297_23781010.1213618876874

Hi,
As it looks like OpenAFS makes use of static ports. Like ....port 7000 for
fileserver, and 7001 client, which looks to be hard coded.

Can any one please clear my queries as follows ?

1. I was wondering as to why did OpenAFS not make use of the portmapper
service (135) like what NFS does. This will prevent from having a
requirement of static port? Any clue.

2. Also are there any applications in this world other than OpenAFS who make
use of static ports which are beyound the standart 0-1024 range ? If so ,
why would there be such a need to use static ports?

Thanks much in advance,

-Bharat.